Django on Digital Ocean

Her vil Jacob Grumsen svare på spørgsmål om stort og småt inden for hockeyverdenen og specielt dommerfaget.
Caitlin Edgar

Django on Digital Ocean

Post by Caitlin Edgar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08:26

So I am beginner Django Developer and have been learning by developing local apps. I am looking to finally deploy something so people can use it. I have been looking around at various hosting providers and I am wondering what it's like using Digital Ocean for Django hosting. Specifically what exactly is involved/required with managing a Django app on Digital Ocean. Hostgator, which is another host I've been looking at, does not offer any "one-click" install for stuff like Nginx or anything else which I noticed Digital Ocean does have, so I would have to install that that as well as anything else I'd need myself. I guess my question is after that one click install what is involved with managing a Django app on Digital Ocean? Do I have to learn how to do a ton of other stuff regarding managing a server and dealing with Nginx (I would have to do that on HostGator) or does that One-click install for Django handle all that? Also other than Django, are there any skills that I have to learn in order to be able to do this?

Noah Willson

Re: Django on Digital Ocean

Post by Noah Willson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10:39

Digital Ocean is more than a hosting service, it's a development platform. Digital Ocean works around the element of "droplets", where each droplet is a virtual machine typically running a UNIX system. Basically if you are looking for a service where you can both host a website and do some development, Digital Ocean may be the way to go, but it is not free. But yes, you would have to configure everything yourself with regards to setting-up Django, proxies, and other network-related tasks.

Jake Schey

Post by Jake Schey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:46:47

I have been using Digital Ocean/DO for my digital advertising Django deployment last 6 months and have a great experience. I use Django On Click Django 1.8.7 in Ubuntu 16.04 Image for all my website development.
Do provides extensive tutorials/documentations and very developer/tinker friendly. I was able to config my Do box Nginx to host 4 different websites on one single box and even manage to run a Ethereum node on it.
I wrote this tutorial on How to Deploy Multiple Websites on 1 single DO Droplets

Cameron Moses

Post by Cameron Moses » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:26:36

As far as I know, there are no one-click solutions for Django. There is an official tutorial, though, which is where I would start, along with a quick read in the Django docs.

My experience hosting small Django apps on DO has generally been good. DO is very stable nowadays with no noticeable downtime (unless you must guarantee HA to your users, which I don't).